.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}
Image hosted by Photobucket.com

7.23.2006

Der Kampf um richtig zu sein

Not only do we see what we want to see, we glaze over what we don't want to accept. Such is the nature of the "debate" in the online community. I hesitate to call it "debate", because so much of it is bogged down with fallacy and a bias so strong that it is fatal to the accompanying argument.

Objectivity easily becomes a distant memory here in this electronic sphere that is devoid of any tangible repercussions. It is a false world where the rules of conduct change drastically. We may discuss our views on "reality" while being, perhaps, as far distanced from it as possible. Thus, we may heatedly contest the views of an individual as though they held the masses in sway with their particular opinions when, in reality, they are nobody. They are the voiceless given the illusion of a voice through their fingertips. They are the powerless given the illusion of power through a box, plugged into the wall, and finally plugged into us. It is easy to lose sight of this, to get swept up in the self-importance of it all; to see one's own words published for the priviledged world to see, as though a digital representation of one's opinion gave it more weight.

Then we are struck by the pack mentality, when such heavy narcissism clumps together to reinforce itself. Not only are we struck by it, we can be victims and practitioners of it as well. In the fight to be right, we overlook the method and focus on the message, forgetting that the method was initially how the message was attained... or so it should have been, ideally. This is the main point of this affair: Do we sufficiently question our own peers? Are we critical not only of our opponents, but of our allies?

To provide two examples, at Dani Kekoa's "TRUTH"-proclaiming page, Generation X-Pose, a scholar from the U.K. passed himself off, for a time, as Richard Dawkins, adopting his moniker, likely to lend weight to his arguments. He did, after some skepticism concerning the likelihood of his actually being Richard Dawkins, admit to being someone else. Those that agreed with his message and who opposed Dani's said nothing of the matter. I, myself, only voiced passing skepticism of his identity before the fact, and said nothing afterwards.

Of more grave academic concern, Dani herself has been called out for grossly unscholarly behaviour that has taken the form of plagiarism and quote-mining. The ramifications of such practices, in support of her own quaint system of belief, are a topic for another discussion. What is important is the treatment of this behaviour. Even when confronted about it, not a single person that holds, to any degree, with her belief system has admitted that Dani has done anything wrong. It is to be expected, since she was willing to implement such reprehensible tactics in the first place, that Dani would attempt to deny/dodge the accusations. It is much more interesting that those in support of Dani's views continue support of Dani, herself, in spite of her markedly dishonest tendencies. Would it not be in a group's best interest to denounce such behaviour, rather than avoiding/justifying it and thereby sanctioning it too? Wouldn't a particular camp enhance their reputation and the intellectual validity of their argument by eliminating poor research, poor research tactics, and overall poor morals?

Further, wouldn't it be in Dani's interest to hear, from her own supporters, that such practices are not acceptable? After all, if she receives nothing but praise for her unscholarly tricks, isn't she likely to continue using them? And doesn't that get one further away from the "TRUTH" she is so keen on telling us she's preaching?

Such is the flexibility of "truth", as a result of the kinds of practices undertaken in such circles, that it can be readily bandied around in place of "opinion". This is one reason for why I will not discuss "truth" with such as them.

Labels:

4 Comments:

Blogger Dani Kekoa said...

This is a bit of an over reaction - don't you think?

Out of hundreds of comments I have made in these debates, I copied and pasted one paragraph from Walt Brown's book In the Beginning that answered a specific question about transitional fossils and social consequenses of evolution. I deliberately left off the link because I knew for a fact that you and Phronk would gloss over it and disregard any "truth" to it simply because it came from the "Center for Scientific Creation".

Predictibly I was right. So just because I copied the information from a text book without providing a link, does that suddenly make the information false? Or is this just an easy cop-out for you to not admit the "Truth"? Further, I was prepared to post the entire book by Walt Brown along with all the links as soon as somone expressed some interest in scientific facts about Creation.

If you recall my response:

Phronk said...If you brought up actual evidence that supports creationism, which was scientific, logical, and had no obvious problems, I'd be surprised, but receptive. I'd look into it, and if there truly was something to it, my beliefs would change.

Would you really be receptive? There is overwhelming scientific evidence for creation that you have never seen before and I will post it if you are truly interested. Why don’t you sleep on it and let me know?

I already had my post set up and ready, but you beat me to it.

Shortly after my comment you went on a scavenger hunt trying to find any evidence to support your ridiculous claim of me "plagiarizing" everything I wrote. This is absolutely absurd and you know it!

Besides - since when do you care about what is right or wrong? I thought all "truth" is relative and there is no God - so what's the big deal if I lie, cheat and steal to advance my agenda?

You have yet to even answer the question of what is the TRUTH?

24.7.06  
Blogger Dani Kekoa said...

P.S. I was going to post this along my sidebar if you don't mind - can you please tell me what it says in English?

I looked it up and it said "To be the fight righteously" - is that correct?

Speaking of different languages, I wonder how all these different written and spoken languages evolved? Why haven't I evolved to learn German yet? Maybe I'm just lower on the evolutionary chain that you?

24.7.06  
Blogger Ubersehen said...

Out of hundreds of comments I have made in these debates, I copied and pasted one paragraph from Walt Brown's book In the Beginning that answered a specific question

So it's alright if you only plagiarize once? What if I only steal one television from Wal Mart, or only do 80mph through a school zone once? No one gets hurt, right?

As to it only being one paragraph, are you trying to lie to cover this up too? You copied from several paragraphs on different pages and doctored them with your own commentary to make them appear to be more authentically your own. If, for some reason, you meant that you had only used the information for one paragraph of your response, that too is false, since you used stolen material in several different paragraphs.

So just because I copied the information from a text book without providing a link, does that suddenly make the information false?

The issue is not whether or not the information is false, but whether or not it is your own idea. It's a matter of intellectual honesty, which you would have learned had you stayed in the godless heathen public school system you so frequently denounce.

Regardless, there is no need to cop out with accusations of plagiarism, since the sources you used are tremendously biased. One further problem with stealing the information from the CSC is that we can not evaluate the sources from which their information came. Thus, it would be impossible to lend any credit whatsoever to your "evidences" without sources.

There is overwhelming scientific evidence for creation

Right. It's just that the overwhelming majority of scientists disagree with that "evidence". A minor hitch.

I already had my post set up and ready, but you beat me to it.

Whether you planned to "reveal your sources" at a later date is immaterial. You still presented your information as though it were your own. That is dishonest. If this were the first time you'd been dishonest in your conversations, and you'd immediately admitted the mistake, it could have been something worthy of being overlooked. But you've knowingly taken quotes out of context, used deliberately loaded questions, and provided false information in the past. This makes your continued attempts at deception in the name of your religion impossible to ignore.

25.7.06  
Blogger Ubersehen said...

Speaking of different languages, I wonder how all these different written and spoken languages evolved? Why haven't I evolved to learn German yet? Maybe I'm just lower on the evolutionary chain that you?

Do you actually wonder how these different written and spoken languages evolved, or is this another argument from personal incredulity mixed in with an appeal to ridicule?

If you really can't come up with a reasonable hypothesis and actually want to know, I'd be happy to explain how the phenomenon of different languages came about. Ironically enough, it might even work with strict biblical 7-day Creationism.

In regards to the title of this post, I attempted to create a German translation of "The Fight to be Righteous" (a mild pun on "the fight to be right"). Online translators, however, are only technology and so are currently unable to make distinctions based on context.

25.7.06  

Post a Comment

<< Home