.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}
Image hosted by Photobucket.com

1.14.2008

Eine verspätete Aktualisierung

So yeah, I miss blogging. I think I'll try some more of it. Want an update? Hm? Sure thing. Since my last post back in May, I got married, played a lot of poker, and moved to Saudi Arabia to teach in an international school. While here, I've managed to visit Sri Lanka and Thailand. Ta da! Consider yourself updated.

Saudi Arabia is an interesting locale. Here, you get to see, in country-form, what amounts to what you would get if you handed an 8 year old 20 million dollars and asked him to plan and oversee the construction of a house with it. The place is a play-land for the rich, with none of the infrastructure that we take for granted back home. I'm lucky to even have internet access tonight, given all the crap I've had to go through for it. It's not that there isn't internet here... it's just that, if you're not rich, the companies that provide it do so with absolute shit for quality. The malls are extravagant and full of stuff only the super-rich could afford, the local hospital looks like it was built for a king. Which is silly, really: It was built for a prince. It's huge and gaudy, complete with a collection of rare fish in the main entrance, all kinds of mismatched Asian latticework and plant-life hanging from the vaulted ceilings, and a serving staff that would look more at home in an upscale French restaurant. But with all this, I'm told that there is more fast food here per capita than anywhere else in the world. With heaps of money, what they really want to eat is junk, so, surprise surprise, they're catching up in terms of obesity with the rest of the Western world.

I could go on, and probably will, but not tonight. Gotta teach in the morning and stuff. You know how it is.

Labels:

2 Comments:

Blogger Phronk said...

Congrats on getting married. Sounds like you have an interesting and productive life, even though God hates you and wants you to be miserable. I guess he hasn't gotten around to punishing you yet.

29.1.08  
Blogger Ubersehen said...

even though God hates you and wants you to be miserable.

I struggle with it every day, believe me.

Thanks for the congratulations, though. Marriage is fun.

29.1.08  

Post a Comment

<< Home